Friday 4 October 2013

Welcome to the social journal blog - read what it's all about!

Hiya everyone!

My name is Diane, I'm 51, and I live in north west England.

I named this blog to really allow an 'anything goes' kind of thing, but mainly because I'd like it to become literally a 'social journal' of sorts, and the 'grandmumzie' came from the 'mumzie' nickname my daughter gave me when she was still a child, and it just stuck!  But now, I'm not just 'Mumzie' any more!

Now, my daughter, Louise, has all grown up, is getting married later this year to Ash, and they have already presented me with two absolutely gorgeous grandchildren, Joshua, who will be 3 at the end of January, and Aimee who was just born in the middle of August this year!  Unfortunately, they don't live locally, but thank goodness for computers, phones and Skype, eh?! :-)

I'm ill and disabled, and as a former (medically retired) Occupational Therapist, I've learned a lot about my health conditions, so I intend to make a reference area about these conditions (and possibly other health issues if there is interest), partly to help people understand them more, whether they suffer from the same conditions or not, and partly to create an environment where you feel you can ask questions not just of me, but of each other.  I know I'd like to hear about how other people manage or cope with their health and disability issues, especially the same ones I'm battling, too.

Maybe we can create a support network of sorts.  A place to feel you can post and feel safe.  A place where the only silly questions are those which go unasked.

I've been ill and disabled for most of my life, though it is only with hindsight that I'm able to recognise some of the health issues that I experienced at a younger age, particularly as a child.

My enduring passion in life, for as long as I can remember, are crafts of one kind or another!  I have always said that my crafts are what has kept me (relatively! LOL!) sane throughout the years, but now I find that there is actually plenty of evidence to prove that hand crafts do actually help people with a range of conditions, emotional and physical, to endure through some of the worst kinds of health issues and emotional experiences.

Of course, as a former occupational therapist, I understood the benefits of creating things with your hands, but when the career became thought of as 'just basket-making', it moved away a lot from hand crafts, which is a shame.

I am currently reading a book called "Crochet Saved My Life" by Kathryn Vercillo of the blog crochetconcupiscence.com, and the evidence that Kathryn has collated vindicates everything Occupational Therapy ever stood for!  It has also explained to me even why I browse, and dream, and plan, and even buy more yarn, when I have more than enough stash, during the times when I have periods of such poor health that I can do very little other than lay in bed and browse the web!  I doubt it would be adequate explanation to my bank manager though! Haha!

I generally have a very dry sense of humour, and am usually smiling, but I've been going through a difficult time emotionally recently, so I'm trying to drag myself out of that black pit of depression by being pro-active, and doing some things that I've been putting off for long enough ... my bucket list, if you like. Creative writing - writing a book or a blog - is right at the top of my list, so here is the new blog!  I decided the interaction of a blog would be much more useful to me and probably others, than writing a book, and working alone, here!  A double pronged approach to pulling myself out of that pit, I guess!

Another main aspect I'd like to discuss personally, and hear about other people's experiences, is how the changes, particularly in the UK, are affecting you, whether you are disabled, under 25, on jobseekers allowance, or any of the other areas that are facing harsh cut backs.  I know politics can be a touchy subject, but after the propaganda that has been posted about disabled people, I think people need to know just what we are going through because of the brutal policy chages and the so-called 'austerity measures', whilst the members of the government continue to drink champagne, give obscene amounts of money to other countries, and ignore our pleas to chase up the billions of £'s owed in taxes from some of the  wealthiest people and most profitable companies in the world!

I want, again, to create a support area/network for those of us facing great difficulties, and to educate those who are not experiencing them, because I have spoken to a great number of people like nurses and staff in care agencies who have absolutely no idea how the care system in the UK works!  Most think that if you become too ill to take care of yourself, you are looked after - that's what we pay our National Insurance contributions for, isn't it?  Well, that's not quite what happens . . . pop back here, and I'll tell you my story one day.

But, the real fun part of this blog, I want to be about crafting, of course.  It's that which makes all the other things more tolerable, and just for a while, we can forget the problems exist!

I don't remember learning to knit and embroider, and only really remember learning to dressmake because I remember my mother telling me that it was 'about time I learned to make my own clothes so she didn't have to do it any more, and could concentrate on making her own clothes'.  So I learned to make my own clothes from patterns, then learned to design my own, too!

When I was 2 years old, my motther returned to work, and I spent the time with my maternal grandparents, and my grandmother taught me to knit and do embroidery.  I was a pretty quiet child, content to just draw and colour laid on the floor, art being my favouurite thing, even so young.  So when I watched my grandmother virtually drawing with threads whilst making colourful clothes for my dolls from knitting or sewing, or creating beautifully embroidered designs on tablecloths or doilies made of very fine fabric, I was eager to learn this new form of art.  In fact, I wanted to learn everything! I wanted to know how to do everything, and I wanted to know how everything worked, or was made! LOL!

I also spent a lot of time in my grandparents caravan in Southport during the open summer season, and Southport is still one of my favourite places.  My grandparents were more the age of great-grandparents really, as they were born in 1899 and 1900, having my mother later in life, during the 2nd world war, in 1942.  I  was born 20 years later, and just about remember my grandad retiring from work, and them moving into a warden serviced bungalow because of teir own health needs.  Though I had been taught crafts by my grandma when i was younger, it was my grandad to whom I was the closest, and the same with my own parents - I had more of a bond with my Dad than my Mother.

Anyway, i digress -getting carried away and overdoing this very first post!

I may have photos of some of my past craft work, scattered here and there, on memory cards, pen drives, CD's etc., so it'll take  me a little while to find them to upload to the blog, but if anyoe else would like to tell us about something you've made, please feel free to send me photos and your story, and I'll write it up and post it for you.  Kind of like a social community blog, which is my aim here.

Tell us about what kind of crafts you've worked on over the years, and which ones drew you or fascinated you the most?

My most favourite crafts at the moment are crochet and jewellery making, often combined in a mixed media approach. This has really developped for me through the circumstances of my health, as I'm mostly confined to bed, and can't actually sit for long, so can only work on small projects that are not too heavy.

Also, with having two young grandchilren, I  am encouraged to make things for them, but have so many ideas I don't know where to begin! Blanket, amigurumi or clothes?  Pinterest and Ravelry have a lot to answer for! Haha!

I do still knit, but I was taught to knit with longer straight needles, and holding one of them under my arm, leaving one hand free, which made hand knitting very fast.  Now, with not being able to sit for long, I can no longer knit this way and have learned to knit in-hand,  but it seems so very slow to me now, that i keep being drawn back to the much faster to work crochet.  I do actually want to learn loom knitting to see if that is faster and find out if it will satisfy my currently unfullfilled knitting urges! LOL!

I also have an urge to make some felties that are so popular of late, and to resurrect some of the general embroidery skills and stitches I learned so long ago!  I do have a bit of a fetish for pincushions and some other sewing tool cases, so working with felt might come in handy there!

Paper and card crafting are favourite hobbies, but require me to sit, so I don't spend much time doing that any more, to be honest.  The same with dressmaking . . .I'm still trying to work out a way to operate my sewing machine from my overbed table, but haven't quite worked out some of the finer points yet, considering some of my disabilities.

These are the kinds of things I intend to share with you through this blog, and maybe I can show others that disabilities don't have to stop us from doing our favourite crafts, and maybe you can let me know if you have already worked out a solution to some of my problems, too!

This is the main reaason why I wanted to combine a health/disability blog with crafting.  I ideally want to creat a social journal where we can vent and learn about health problems, then work our way through to showing ourselves that whatever we have wrong with us will not stop us still being useful and worthwhile, whether we just make a single hat for winter, a coat for or dog, or whether we get into one of the very many worthwhile charities out there who always need supplies, especially as there are likely to be many more homeless people in the UK this winter with all the cuts in benefits!

On that note, it is really late, and I have got carried away with writing this initial post! LOL!  If you decide to follow this blog, you will find that I may not post every day, but when I do, I can rabbit on and on! I just hope it all makes sense! Haha!  And the reason for this lengthy post is that I have been wanting to do this for so long that I'm now really excited to actually be doing something about it!!!

Until next time . . . keep crafting!  Love . . . Diane x

No comments:

Post a Comment